Wednesday, July 15, 2009

You want *how much* to post one box???

Okay, so my baggage will be heavier than anticipated. I packed up all the books and souvenirs and booklets and brochures etc into three boxes, wrapped them beautifully, addressed and stuck customs labels on them then we took them to the local post office.

And brought all three back again! Just the first box, the lightest of the three, was going to cost 55GBP to send by ordinary mail. Not airmail, not express mail, just plain old ordinary sea mail which would take a couple of months to arrive.

Luckily my sister has a small suitcase she can give me, or I shall see if it will all fit into my carryon bag which I will check rather than take on board because it will be quite heavy. Umm, on second thoughts, maybe not. I don't have a spare padlock for it! Hopefully Sue has a padlock for the case (crosses fingers).

Here is the Uffington photo I promised. Not very visible, I know, but it is there, left of centre just below the brow of the hill. We drove closer and walked up to see it, plus Dragon Hill which is just visible below and to the left of the horse. The photo of me was taken by a woman who saw me walking up from checking on the horse - a small part of it can be seen just below my right hand - and Dragon Hill is to my right. I didn't walk down to that because it was very steep both down and up!

The crop circle search was fruitless, sad to say. There had been a circle spotted in that area, a very simplistic one which both Sue and I are positive is man-made. I have emailed one of the crop circle websites to let them know what we think of that one and that there was another one in the area which nobody seems to have noticed (!) - I shall report on results if any are forthcoming.

Unfortunately the party on Sunday ended on a very sour note - my eldest nephew's pushbike was stolen during the evening. He had it double-locked and reasonably out of sight, but some enterprising low-life picked it up and walked off with it.

Now to go pack my suitcase(s) and have a relatively early night as we have to get up at 3am tomorrow to make sure we get to Heathrow.

See you in the USA!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Barb
Have been enjoying your Blogs. Keep them coming. Stay safe, and have a ball...
Go the Brown Brothers!