Saturday, July 4, 2009

Random thoughts on a rainy day

Yesterday sis and I did nothing - except our laundry!

For those of you who don't already know, I drive a Hyundai FX Coupe, silver, all curves and very sporty. So far I have seen one silver, one red, one dark blue and two black, much to my delight.

They also have the Tiburon over here but it's not called that and it has the Hyundai H on the back, not the T like in Oz.

As for driving - British drivers are very polite, not at all like Aussie drivers. While hooning along motorways or major roads, I've noticed that if I was coming up behind someone in the outside (slow) lane but someone was about to overtake me, they would move over into the inside (fast) lane to let me overtake without driving into the back of the car in front. Most times. There was one time I did have to slow up rather fast because the car overtaking me couldn't move over because he was being overtaken too! Also, when in a narrow street and you have to give way to someone, there's always a hand wave to say thanks.

Cornish towns have very narrow streets. On Thursday while driving to Helston we went through Boscastle which a few years ago was badly damaged by a flash flood, but Sue was driving that section. Then when we got to Helston we got our directions muddled and she directed me into the town instead of around. Yikes! Single lane streets, a main street that has little rivers down each side, so be very careful when parking, and a total maze of little twisty streets. We got ourselves thoroughly lost so parked and perused the street map and found we were not too far from our destination, but as Sue admitted later, she would not have liked to be driving to get ourselves out of our pickle and to where we meant to be. Not sure if that was a confidence booster for me or not *g* She did say I looked very calm and in control.

Today we're going to Glendurgan which has a maze.

Last random thought - traction engines go VERY slowly. We got stuck behind one for six miles - took us 45 mins to do that stretch and we were getting closer to it, but then we got to a roundabout and to everyone's delight the engine turned right - you could hear the cheers for miles!

No comments: