Friday, July 3, 2009

July 1 - churches & steps

There is a place I'd always wanted to see but when I was a child we would always bypass this little town, but this was my chance.









Wells is like Adelaide - full of churches and... a cathedral. This cathedral has a set of steps that have always fascinated me, and I believe have been used in movies. But the rest of the cathedral is also worth the visit. When it was being built the foundations began to sink (shades of the Leaning Tower of Pisa) so they came up with scissor arches to spread the weight.

And these are the steps that have always fascinated me - took a while to get a clear (ie no people) pic, but to actually walk up them was a special moment. They have replaced some of the most worn steps but as you can see at the bottom, they have been well-used.

No comments: